This is the most information-dense podcast than possibly any previous show we’ve ever done. Alex Robé and one of his main flying partners Primoz Susa are nearly always the two guys right at the top of XContest on the big days. Alex won the XContest in 2015 and 2017 and is currently in 3rd this season (his lowest value flight is over a 260KM FAI, and the two pilots ahead of him both went to Brazil last fall!). But Alex is extremely limited with his time and how much he can fly. In a typical year he’ll only fly 10-15 times! So for those of you who are restricted with time, prepare to be inspired! In this episode we cover a huge range of topics from a true master of flying huge distance. We discuss risk management; performance vs passive safety when it comes to wing choice; the keys to flying fast; how to identify the big days (and more importantly- choosing the right launch and the right route); ability, attitude and approach; 2 liners vs 3 liners and misconceptions; weather resources and forecasting; how to become a great pilot by flying huge hours on the big days rather than battling fear on the dicey days; how to build endurance for long flights; the recipe for flying big; the importance of post-flight analysis and a LOT, lot more. Get your pen and paper out folks, this one is packed!
Here are the weather resources Alex uses to identify the best days you hear about in the show (click to download):
Alex’s blog is truly amazing- check it out!
- Paragliding Blog: http://lex.xalps.com
- Many flight stories with loads of pictures and always all Lessons Learned at the end
- Downloadable Lessons Learned compendium as a Google Spreadsheet; filterable by takeoff, season & conditions
- Videos, built with a lot of passion
- Participation as supporter in the very first Red Bull XAlps http://xalps.com/2003 – totally incredible, how everything evolved. They were walking with wired GPS-Antennas on their helmet back then!
- Video Channel: https://vimeo.com/lexrobe – with the latest season trailer, that will give you goose-bumps 😉
- On Alex’ facebook page https://www.facebook.com/lexrobe he always posts publicaly when he thinks there is a good day ahead and he plans to go flying. Follow him!
Here is the video of Alex’s 306km FAI-Triangle https://vimeo.com/254135867
- 2 vs 3 liners and passive safety vs performance
- Picking the big day and picking the right launch on that day
- Reducing risk dramatically by only flying the really good days
- Becoming a great pilot by flying huge hours on big days rather than flying dicey days and getting scared
- The “recipe” for long distance and the importance of learning the weather and being fit
- The importance of post-flight analysis
- Preparation pre-flight
- How to pick out the good lines
- What gear and why
- The importance of sharing information and sharing your thoughts on where and when to fly so good pilots show up
- The Engineering connection and flying
- What are the motivation, knowledge and XContest factors to going big
- The importance of goals, and how to fly efficiently
- Risk Management and dealing with uncertainty
Mentioned in this episode:
Matt Wilkes, XContest, XCSkies, MeteoParapente, MeteoBlue, Ayvri, XCMag, Hugh Miller, Ed Ewing, Verbier Summits, InReach, Garmin, Primoz Susa, Ozone Paragliders, Niviuk, Flow XC Racer, XCSKies, Windy, MeteoParapente, Meteoblue, Naviter, Flow Paragliders, Nick Neynens